Compensation: $25,000 CAD annually
Time commitment: 2 days/week
Application deadline: March 3, 2023
Start date: March 20, 2023
Hypha Worker Co-operative (Hypha) is looking for an Operations Coordinator who is part administrative magician, part finance factotum, and ideally has a dash of project management experience. The ideal candidate is highly organized, detail-oriented, familiar with working in a remote-first workplace, and adept at managing a range of operations tasks. This part-time role supports Hypha’s internal work and is not client-facing.
Hypha is a co-operative, so we do things a little differently (and a little better, we like to think). Ideally, you are excited about participating in a co-operative, building the solidarity economy, and engaging in discussions on rethinking social structures and the politics of technologies.
Here are some of the things you’ll do
The Operations Coordinator will work with the Operations and Finance Working Groups and project leads to fulfill a range of responsibilities:
- Provide administrative support to the co-operative, including managing group calendars, meeting scheduling and other related responsibilities as required
- Support Operations Working Group on HR-related tasks including posting job openings, scheduling interviews and assisting with employee onboarding
- Work with the Finance Working Group and bookkeeper to process invoices, make payments, and track receipts, and manage fiscal forecasting tools
- Support Finance Working Group on payroll and other employment paperwork
- Assist project leads with establishing and managing project scope, timelines, and budgets
- Work with project leads to track and manage activities, resources, and plans related to development work and overall project goals
Qualifications and skills we are looking for
- Previous operations experience, preferably in a remote-first organization
- Intermediate familiarity with operational finance and budgeting processes
- Experience managing projects or programs
- Highly organized and very detailed-oriented
- Able to manage multiple tasks and deliverables with ease
- Ability to make administrative and procedural decisions on sensitive, confidential issues
- Outgoing and motivated, with the ability to take on tasks without immediate direction
- Ability to work independently and participate collaboratively in a distributed team environment; experience working in a remote-first team is highly preferred
- Excellent time management skills and the ability to prioritize work
- Clear and compassionate oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated commitment to the principles of equity and diversity with alignment on Hypha’s mission and values
We understand that no one person has all the qualifications listed here, so please apply if you have relevant experience and are interested in this role. To see more of the technologies we use and how we work together, check out our GitHub organization.
More about us
Hypha Worker Co-operative is a non-profit worker co-op based in Tkaronto (Toronto). We collaborate with communities to build better relationships with technology. Hypha’s work includes p2p and blockchain-based projects, and technical capacity development and governance consultation for co-operatives, collectives, and decentralized communities. You can read more about our mission, vision, and values, and how we work together in our organizational handbook.
As a remote-first organization that strives toward sustainable livelihoods for all our members, we accommodate flexible schedules and work arrangements. We are committed to the co-operative principles, which provide a pathway for all employees to permanent membership. We are looking to build long-term relationships with contractors who are potentially interested in joining our co-operative as a member in the future. If working openly on value-driven technology is your jam, let’s talk!
Remote position, with a preference for Tkaronto-based people.
Annual rate of $25,000 CAD, with basic benefits. See our Handbook for an explanation of the benefits provided to part-time employees.
Hours and contract term
Work completed Monday to Friday, for a total of 16 hours per week.
This is a part-time employee position. The initial contract is for 12 months, with the opportunity to revisit depending on co-operative needs.
Process to apply
To be considered, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with the following before March 3, 2023:
- CV (ideally as a PDF)
- Brief covering statement (in email body is fine) outlining why you are a fit for the position, this could include:
- Description of a recent project
- Links previous work
- Mention of how you heard about this position (e.g., job board, listserv, etc.)
- If you would like us to keep your information on file for future opportunities
Hypha strives to cultivate collective and inclusive growth in our communities, and to support meaningful livelihoods for our members. We offer a respectful and open workplace. Hypha upholds accessibility, diversity, and equal opportunity in our hiring practices. Requests for accommodations can be made at any stage of the recruitment process.